Drugs And College Students
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
Many people that abuse drugs are young people that are still in school especially in the higher institutions.
Young individuals [ages 18 to 24] are already at an increased risk of addiction.
Many students experience social anxiety when they enter college. For students who do not engage in extracurricular activities or clubs find it easier to socialize through drinking. Not every student within the college begins to binge drink or to abuse drugs immediately, but it is the problem of having drinks routinely to have some additional fun, which leads many students towards an addiction.
Students who are attending college in a full-time college program are twice as likely to fall prey to this problem than the students who do not attend college.
Understanding Drug Use Among College Students
There are many reasons why so many college students become addicted to drugs and alcohol
- Different people have different ways of coping and amidst the daily grind of college life and perhaps their part-time job and relationships make them think they need it.
- Course Load
- Students who do not have a regular studying habit or are too tired and too hectic to establish one more often resort to stimulant use to keep them awake.
- Most of these substances tend to be found with no proper prescription.
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- Trying drugs is part of these new phases.
- Social Pressure
- Students who are part of a peer group in which many people use recreational drugs are more susceptible to use drugs.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Diet Tablets And Eating Issues At College
Students in colleges are more susceptible to eating disorders than others.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. It is quite unfortunate that these number tends to increase as the years go by. Peer pressure and low-self esteem among college students drive them to pop dieting pills to lose undesirable weight easily. Some of these drugs have severe effects such as death. Get more info about unhealthy eating behaviours and diet tablets overuse on college campuses.
Popular Drugs Among College Students
There is no drug available with the immunity for college experimentation, and this is simply because trends have been changing constantly over a period of time.
There are some common drugs that can be found in nearly all the colleges. Below are few of them on college campuses
- Most college campuses have to deal with heavy drinking.
- It is not considered illicit especially if you are of age hence regulating or identifying abuse of this substance is often overlooked.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- There are campuses in which the number one abused substance among students is Marijuana, not alcohol.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- Students in their 20s tend to overuse the "party drug" as their generation is in the target age range for the most common abusers of this substance.
- This party pill is increasingly popular among rave parties and concerts.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
No other drug is more commonly abused by college students than alcohol. More and more students find it cool and associate drinking and intoxication to fun college life, earning its ubiquitous attendance in almost all college parties and sports celebrations.
Alcohol is so common in college and its use rarely, if ever, is frowned at, and that's why college students as a group drink more alcohol than those who are of the same age but do not attend college.
It is estimated 80 percent of college students use alcohol.
Data suggests that almost 50 percent of students who consume alcohol have indulged in binge drinking once or many times more. Excessive consumption of alcohol is not just a major health concern within the long-term, but it can also cause immediate tragedies such as assault, injury, arrest and even fatalities. The students in higher institutions are always educated about the dangers of alcohol.
Abuse And Greek Life
The students in the Greek system tend to drink more than those that are not even though they have an environment that hinders them from doing that.
Survey shows that fraternity and sorority members are more predisposed to prescription drug abuse (with Adderall being the commonly abused substance among them).
Getting The Assistance Required For Dependency On Drugs Or Alcohol
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. You will have support from expert guarantors that our dependence professionals will find for you. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.